Tuesday, March 11, 2014

CAPTURING VACATION

On the shores of soul, I give you permission to wash my tears away. And take all my disappointment and fill me joy once again.

As humans we need rest. And not just the Sunday afternoon nap kind of rest, but true rest. The kind of rest were we set aside our appointments, our agendas, phones, and every distraction so that we can fully engage with life and fully engage with our families. I was recently reminded of the value of this kind of rest when my family drove a good fifteen hours plus to the sunny shores of Anna Marie Island, Florida. 

The trip was needed, and it was beautiful. Sleeping in, eating donuts, soaking up the sunshine, a good game of "Settlers", a solid read in my hands, and time well spent with my precious family. One of my favorite parts of vacation is when my camera and I get lost. Now a days it doesn't happen as much, I don't do as much shooting that isn't planned. Back in the day when I first started to love photography I would take long walks just looking for things to capture. They are fond memories of mine, so whenever I go on vacation I make it a point to lay aside all agendas and remember what I love so much about photography. Capturing pure, raw, and simple life. The big picture and the small detail. The things that make life oh so sweet, and especially the people that I love so dearly. So in light of this grand time of resting, I thought I would write a few helpful tips on how to photograph vacation. 

Don't forget the details
Sometimes taking pictures on your vacation can be a bit overwhelming. There are a lot of new sites you'll be seeing, and you want to document your vacation in a way that when you look back at your photos you'll remember how it all felt. Details are a great way to do this. For example during my vacation we woke up early one morning to go fishing. We didn't catch anything, however we did make a quick stop at a local donut shop where we picked up some delicious sweets. I made a point to take a photo of the donuts as way of helping me remember that fun detail of the morning. 

Don't forget to take pictures of the people you're with 
It you are anything like me sometimes I can get carried anyway with wanting to capture awesome artist shots or moments. However you don't want to go through your pictures later and realize you didn't take a single picture of your mom and dad. You should take that photo of your feet in the Gulf of Mexico, but don't forget to grab your loved ones for a few shots too. That being said, don't forget to get in on the pictures also. You may be focused on capturing the things around you, but hey who knows you might only get to visit the Eiffel Tower (or where ever you are) once. It's ok to have tourist moments. :) 

Don't underestimate the power of the latergram
Yes I am talking to all of us instagramers, and social media junkies. Don't get me wrong instagram, facebook, twitter, that stuff is great. But it's better to be present in the moment, and take it all in. You don't want to miss anything because you were looking at your phone. :) Let it sink in for a minute or two and then post away. 

Hope that's helpful for the next time you are off on a grand adventure. Where ever you are and wherever you go, make the most of it. Enjoy every second, breath deep, and be thankful. Life is beautiful. 
  

















No comments:

Post a Comment